Saturday, April 18, 2009

Four days in Taiwan - day one


I have been to Taipei with Peter for four days during this Easter holiday. Talking about four days, actually it was only two days and a half because we started the holiday there at five o'clock in the evening on 15th April and left at seven o'clock in the morning on 18th April. On the whole, it was quite an enjoyable and relaxing trip. I enjoyed it very much. One good thing about it was the journey was in our hands. We decided where to go and when to go.


On the first day (15/4), after settled down in the hotel, we went to Taipei 101 for our 'starter'. When we arrived there, it was already full of 'ducklings' queuing up waiting to go inside. We were told to wait for forty minutes. So we went for a drink instead but failed my plan because I expected to see the sun set especially when the day time turning into the night time. By the time we went up there, it was dark already. I was a bit disappointed about it.

We went to the indoor observatory on the 89th floor first. Looking down the road below, I found the view magnificent. We, of course, would not miss the chance of taking some photos.

Then we went up to the outdoor observatory on the 91st floor. I did not enjoy it very much. Maybe I expected it to be exciting but I could hardly had such a feeling. It was surrounding by a high wall which was as high as my shoulders. And above it were bars with gaps about 8 cm or less in between. You wouldn't be afraid even if you had high anxiety. You wouldn't see much either because the wall was too high and the gaps were too narrow. If you want to take photos of the view, you need to take risk by putting your camera outside the bars.

After that, we went down to the 88th floor where we could have a close look at the wind damper. The damper was to reduce the wind movement in high-rises. It was a precious experience because it was not easy to see the damper of a high building.

I think it is worth going up there although I had a few complaints about it. At least it is open to the public, not like the IFC in Hong Kong.

No comments: